Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What We Do For Our Children

<p><a href="http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=739">Image: Photography by BJWOK / FreeDigitalPhotos.net</a></p>

My son has autism. For alot of you this is not an unknown fact. This school year has been extremely difficult for us. I am going to be honest I was sitting here feeling sorry for myself the other day. I won't go into detail but something pretty substantial had occured at school again, I was on my last leg of fighting the school on issues that should be common sense. For some odd reason... I had this memory of my son  in the nicu and a nurse and that nurse said to me "he will thank you some day for all you went through for him." For those of you that don't know my son was a very difficult pregnancy. I was airlifted to a hospital an hour away because I had severe toxemia and remained on bed rest for 14 days and then my blood pressure climbed so high that I had to be induced 5 1/2 weeks early.My son aspirated blood on his way out and remained in the nicu for ten days before we could bring him home. But the funny thing is yes at times I do feel like I give so much for my son. but not anymore than I would give for my other two children. But the even funnier thing is, That my son, has given me so much more, if he hadn't been diagnosed with autism   I  wouldn't have met my co autism moms that I can share and cry with. I wouldn't have such caring and wonderful friends and family. I believe that god has led certain people to me throughmy son.  I wouldn't have the understanding and patience that I have. I do not think I would have the will to fight for things that I know should be changed if it wouldn't have been for him.. And last but not least hearing the words I love you mom from my autistic son that did not talk until he was four meant so much more coming out of his mouth.  Yes I went through alot for my son, but what parent doesn't!? If asked to do it all over again I would do it for him. My son  might never understand what I went through for him. But knowing in my heart that he is happy and safe and getting everything he deserves is thanks enough.. And as the years go on. I say to those challenges in regards to him, bring it on. We are ready to go through LOTS MORE.....

Please excuse  any mistakes.. as it took me three hours to get this posted.. my girls were not very happy.  But I just had to write this while it was in my head. So here it is mistake loaded and all. :)

1 comment:

  1. Perfectly written... Zach is so lucky to have you as his Mommy. Thanks for sharing this with everyone. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete