Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Memories

I was doing my homework with my son this evening. He is in 4th grade. And I began to think how different things were when I went to school. The Academic load was way different. Children were not completing college prep courses at the age of 11... This is a joke but quite honestly I have to stop and think why don't we ever let our children just be children anymore? There is so much pressure to perform and excel at such a young age. Why can't these kids just have a chance to be kids? I remember that in our little town, every little neighborhood had a neighborhood school. The kids you went to school with lived in your neighborhood. These were the kids you would play with until dark. The kids you would walk home with from school.. I really quite honestly don't remember anyone riding a bus. when I went to Our neighborhood school. When I was in fifth Grade they closed a bunch of those neighborhood schools and that is where the busing came in. I remember I loved Farnham elementary School. My mom went there, my uncles and aunt went there. The teachers were the greatest teachers ever. The activities that we partook in were awesome. Movie days, bike rodeos, Halloween parades, Christmas programs, I remember playing on the playground and using our imaginations.. I really am sad at times because I do not think kids use their imaginations like they should. I remember my husband , who I thought was the biggest bully playing king of the mountain.. On A HUGE snow mountain and pummeling people left and right... I am sure he sat in the principals office. one of many visits.. ;) I may be exaggerating just a little... Kindergarten consisted of letter people, stories, play time and milk and snack. We got to go home at half a day. I think that expecting our children to be so much like little mini adults is so sad in some ways. I think kids should have a chance to experience the joys and fun of just being a kid. I hold fond memories of elementary school and all the fun we had.. to the bike rodeos, to the Hawaiian luau in Mrs. Alter's room, to the fun times playing on the playground.  And with that I leave you with this a chant that Was a hand game that every girl in school new.. I think my father even knew it by the time I made him hold his hand up numerous times to learn it.... Miss sue miss sue miss sue from Alabama.... that is all I remember...

1 comment:

  1. So true, nice blog :) my dad shared my website with your mom and she mentioned yours to my dad and he told me so I thought I'd check it out. Are you in G'burg? I was born there but moved when I was 2, still have some family in the quad cities area. Check out my website if you have time, I am working on getting the coupons and "steals & deals" section up, its taken me a month to learn how to design lol... http://www.housewifecentral.com Thanks, Bernadette Greene (dad is Joe Greene)

    ReplyDelete