Thursday, May 26, 2011

Not an Outdoor Kind Of Girl

As summer is fast approaching I sat down today and thought about when I was a child how different things were, kids today play video games for hours go to extreme waterparks and hang out at the neighborhood pool. Every Summer I went to girl scout camp. I don't know if I really wanted to go or if my mom made me. I refused to go to overnight camp because I was not one to want to sleep out in the woods at night. Summer camp was always lots of fun and I could not wait to go again. As I sit here and think about It I don't know why it was so much fun.... Riding a school bus in very hot summer heat to a location which was in the middle of nowhere, to sit in the woods in blue jeans, a baseball cap and thirsty mosquitoes does not seem like a good time to me. Also I still can remember the LATRINES you know the out in the middle of nowhere bathrooms that reaked and were home to huge bugs that liked to hide in very dark corners. Our meals were cooked over camp fire every day and when it rained camp was not cancelled you sat in a tent all day long. We hiked on trails in mud to visit a tree that looked like a man. and one year I even fell and came home a complete muddy mess. I made my father go with me to this camp for a daddy daughter date one year at this camp we ate fried dandelions, aren't dandelions poisonous? not one of our favorites. I returned every year to this camp for the songs, the friendships,the smores. When you turned old enough to be going into 5th or 6th grade your time at the "fun" camp was over you then moved up to the camp where you had to "survive", the rumor was you even had to dig your own hole to use as a toilet... that did it for Me I was out. I Did not return to camp that year. I am not an outdoor kind of girl at all!!! when my husband and I were dating I would go fishing with him. Ok I knew he liked to fish and when your new into a relationship you try and do things that the other likes. I did not like fishing!!! I refused to hook a worm or take a fish off of the line. I don't think to this day I have ever touched a fish. Once we got married I don't think I ever went fishing again. Camping is also not one of my favorite activities. My idea of camping is the holiday inn or A HUGE motor home with air conditioning. If the motor home has air conditioning and a hook up for electricity I am in. when we were first married we scoped out this campground that was quite a drive we set up camp we were having a good time as good as time as you could have in 90 degree heat in a campground with a tent. It would be just our luck that a humungous storm would be rolling in.. I made my wonderful husband pack up camp at 1:00 in the morning and head on out because I did not want to be in a campground in the middle of a huge storm. Our realtionship was young my husband obliged without complaining at all, today he would tell me to take a hike. We laugh about these stories now and when I say we could go camping my husband always gives me the look. I am not an outdoor girl I am not a lake girl, I am a swimming pool only kind of girl. So this summer I am happy to say that our tent will stay in storage, and for my summer fun I will be hitting the pool.

3 comments: