Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Fear

I think as a parent being fearful is a natural occurence. I think being a parent of a special needs child is an occurence that you cannot avoid. All mothers wish the best for their children. But mothers of special needs children for the most part I believe strive for their children to go above and beyond what society has labled them. I think fear as a special needs parent is at
times empowering. I know that I go to extremes at times to do whats best for my autistic child whether it be making that phone call to let them know that my son came home yesterday with rocks in his shoes because he would not communicate the fact that he needed help getting them out, and yes this is an occurence that still happens even though he is no longer in preschool. I think the biggest fear is knowing that at some point My husband and I will not be here to help my son and therefore he is going to have to be self sufficient. I have at times cried thinking about what would happen if my son is not self sufficient. He has his sisters but he will have to be somewhat able to live on his own. The fear of not knowing is sometimes the hardest. No parent knows exactly how their children will turn out. As a parent of an autistic child my fear empowers me to push him to go above and beyond. I do not feel sorry for my child he is not "normal" but who is? He must work harder to achieve what others have come easily to them. So although fear can be, well scary it can also be a gateway to great accomplishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment